[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] LZMA - in or out? ([signoff] libarchive 2.6.0 )

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Tue May 12 03:00:30 EDT 2009

Am Dienstag, 12. Mai 2009 08:37:58 schrieb Grigorios Bouzakis:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 08:03:43AM +0200, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 12. Mai 2009 02:06:31 schrieb Dan McGee:
> > > Yes, of course. I think we can take some time to let it bake, as there
> > > is not an immediate need, and when 5.0 comes out we can move it to
> > > core and then rebuild libarchive with support for both.
> >
> > Sure, no need to hurry. Slackware has achieved a decrease of size from
> > 1,9GB to 1,4GB of their main repo. Our ratio should be lower as we don't
> > have source packages in our repos. But it should be easy to test once the
> > tools are ready. (du -h;gunzip *.gz;xz *.tar;du -h)
>
> Just for the record, Slackware didnt move the sources to xz.
> Just the compiled packages.
> The descrease in size you are reffering to is more or less correct.
> My local rsynced tree is 1.6Gb with .xz while it was around 2.0Gb with
> .tgz. The gain should be 20-25% from what i can estimate.

I am just doing some very simple test right now. (default compression preset)

core (x86_64)		(decompress time)
	none	552M
	gzip	186M	12s
	xz		121M	17s

I will add a test for extra later.

Even though this might not be a really valid benchmark it show that its
defintely worth it. Most people will benefit from a smaller download size
which should also comensate the slightly increase decompression time. (I don't
think that a lot of people download 65MB within 5s)

Note: xz does not seem to use smp; but I have read that this might be possible
some day.

--

Pierre Schmitz

Clemens-August-Straße 76