[arch-general] Why does my sound work sometimes & not others?

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed May 13 04:37:26 EDT 2009

Listmates,

	I have the most atavistic sound known to mankind on my laptop running arch.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The card specs are:

0:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
        Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device ff08
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
        Latency: 64, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
        Interrupt: pin ? routed to IRQ 16
        Region 0: Memory at f8700000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

	The Intel modules loaded are:

snd                    65928  13
snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_hda_codec          68112  2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_intel          29256  1
snd_page_alloc          9760  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_pcm                80920  3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec

	When I first start arch and start kde, everything is fine. However, if I log
out and then back it, most times the sound is gone -- dead. The sound will
not start again until I reboot. Anybody got any ideas on what to check or
what to keep a watch out for? Also, any ideas on how to bring the sound back
once it dies without having to reboot?

	Thanks for any help you can provide. I always hated chasing sound problems.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC