[arch-general] How do we handle sudo or kdesu in Archlinux?

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed May 13 15:50:30 EDT 2009

Listmates,

	When I need to run apps a root for configuration purposes like kate, or
konqueror "File Management", I either put the command in the Alt+F2 run
dialog or create a menu entry and then check [ ] run as different users and
put 'root' in the different user text box. Even though I have configured sudo
I am inevitably prompte for a password. With suse we "patched" this by using
kwriteconfig as your regular user:

kwriteconfig --file kdesurc --group super-user-command --key
super-user-command sudo

	This wasn't the "recommended" way, but it was the way most chose to get
around a mess with kdesu.

	When I try and access the apps I want to run as root, not only do I get the
initial password prompt, but I get a second prompt after the app is closed.
That has left me scratching my head.

	The other option is just to create the menu entries as "sudo command" which
doesn't complain wheen opening whatever I need.

	What says the braintrust? Is this an arch issue or is it a kdemod issue? Any
help would be appreciated, thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC