[arch-general] problem while bridging network

Aren Olson reacocard at gmail.com
Wed May 13 21:01:04 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 13:44, Andrei Thorp <garoth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Last I checked, you can't run 3D games inside of a virtual machine,
> unless something's changed. Anyone confirm?
>
> -AT

You can, with some hacking.  However I have yet to successfully make
this work with a win 7 VM. For XP in virtualbox, the following should
work:

1) Set up the VM, ensuing the 3d accel checkbox is checked
2) Install XP
3) Install the virtualbox guest additions
4) Install wined3d into in windows from here: http://aybabtu.com/rmh/wined3d/

After that, you should have fully operational opengl and d3d
acceleration in your XP guest machine.  I have used this successfully
with audiosurf, other games may or may not work depending on what
hardware checks they make and what parts of d3d they use.

NOTE: you should disable mouse integration when playing games under
this.  The integration features mess up the mouse controls rather
badly.
NOTE: When wined3d asks you which parts to install, do NOT check the
first one, for direct2d.  Doing so will break your XP install.
Checking the directx 8, 9 and 10 boxes however are all safe, so far as
I can tell.

HTH
-Aren Olson

--
"Whoever said sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain."
- K. Jackson