[arch-general] How do we handle sudo or kdesu in Archlinux?

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu May 14 12:51:39 EDT 2009

On or about Thursday 14 May 2009 at approximately 07:23:37 Damjan Georgievski
composed:
> > (2)  Add yourself to the wheel group in /etc/group. Example, in
> > /etc/group:
> >
> >    wheel::10:root,david
>
> it's best not to edit the file by hand.
> You can use the "usermod -G wheel -a david" command for that.

Hmm Damjan,

	I may have been doing it wrong for a while now ( about 9 years ). My
understanding was the only sudo related file you should not edit by hand
was /etc/sudoers and that is why we have visudo. I haven't heard that
editing /etc/group by hand would cause problems. In fact, that is the way I
keep my GIDs the same between installs. I just have my normal groups and
users copied from my original /etc/group that I copy to all new installs.
(that about 10 groups with about 12 users sprinkled between the groups) I've
never had a problem.

	What is the concern with editing /etc/group by hand? The group man page
doesn't even reference usermod as a way to manipulate group associations.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC