[arch-general] How do we handle sudo or kdesu in Archlinux?

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri May 15 01:14:19 EDT 2009

On or about Thursday 14 May 2009 at approximately 21:46:02 Frédéric Perrin
composed:
> Le Jeudi 14 à 23:03, Attila a écrit :
> > I prefer to use gpasswd because for me the big advantage is that you
> > don't have to log out than. But i don't know too what speak against
> > editing /etc/group by hand if you can live with it that you have to
> > log out.
>
> You don't have to log out / log back in for a new group to take effect.
> There is the adequately named newgrp(1) that spawns a new shell with a
> different real and effective GID.

	You don't even have to logout/login if you are just adding someone to a group
by hand. The changes are picked up the next time you try and access something
requiring the uid/gid combination. I guess if you created a new group by hand
then you would. I always use groupadd for creating groups unless I'm copying
the initial group configuration over. I just hand edit for adding or removing
members from the groups. I haven't yet run into any problems doing it like
this, that's why I was surprised by the suggestion. However, I like the
usermod approach, it will save a few keystrokes.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC