[arch-general] Radeonhd - Use EXA Accel instead of XAA Accel

Rafa Griman rafagriman at gmail.com
Fri May 15 05:28:50 EDT 2009

Hi :)

On Wednesday 13 May 2009 12:17:31 David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. wrote:
> Listmates,
>
> 	If you use the radeonhd driver, use EXA acceleration instead of XAA. I
> just found out about this today and it is a 100% improvement in speed, etc.
> over XAA acceleration. It isn't as fast as fglrx, but it is a world of
> improvement over the alternative. To make use of EXA acceleration, simply
> enable it in your xorg.conf in the device section. Example:

Interesting. I've got a Radeon:

# lspci | grep -i vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3870

And when I define EXA or XAA I get a whole bunch of problems, specially
scrolling or when I jump from one tab to another in say, Konqueror and/or
Firefox.

Commented out the Accel options in xorg.conf and now it works nice.

	# pacman -Q | grep -iE "(radeon|xorg-server|xorg-utils)"
	xf86-video-radeonhd 1.2.5-1
	xorg-server 1.6.1-1
	xorg-server-utils 7.4-6
	xorg-utils 7.4-4

   Rafa

--
"We cannot treat computers as Humans. Computers need love."

rgriman at skype.com
rgriman at jabberes.org