[arch-general] AARG! kinit: cannot open dev(8,7) kernel panic

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat May 16 20:59:38 EDT 2009

Listmates,

	I am in a fist-fight with grub again most likely due to /dev/disk/by-uuid and
I'm losing the battle.

	First, the situation. I'm moving and resizing partitions from an 80G drive to
a 500G drive. No issues there. The partitions setup is:

/dev/sda1	WinXP
/dev/sda2	Extended
/dev/sda5	/home
/dev/sda6	/
/dev/sda7	swap
/dev/sda8	/boot

	After moving and resizing the partitions windows boot fine and Arch boots
until it gets to kinit and then throws a kernel panic. I have updated the
disk/by-uuid labels in /boot/grub/menu.lst and in /etc/fstab, but still the
kinit error.

	As far as my grub install goes, the system boot to the grub menu and it is
reading /boot/grub/menu.lst because I can boot XP from the grub menu, but not
boot Arch.

	Gurus... What to check? Throw a brother a bone.... Where else is the disk
by-uuid stuff hidden?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC