[arch-general] AARG! kinit: cannot open dev(8,7) kernel panic

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun May 17 04:02:21 EDT 2009

On or about Saturday 16 May 2009 at approximately 20:28:49 David C. Rankin,
J.D.,P.E. composed:
> On or about Saturday 16 May 2009 at approximately 20:13:11 pyther composed:
> > Try replacing the disk-by-uuid stuff with direct paths to the device
> > nodes (ex. /dev/sda2, etc). If you can get this to work then start
> > switching back to disk-by-uuid.
> >
> > ~pyther
>
> Hmm,
>
> 	I'll give it a go and report back. My fingers are getting sore from all
> the mount and chroot typing though ;-)

Ok,

	After switching /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/fstab from disk/by-uuid labels
to the standard /dev/sda# labels everything boots and runs fine. Now the
question of why the by-uuid labels did not work? I updated the uuid lables in
each file with the right value from /dev/disk/by-uuid using strick copy and
paste to eliminate typos and then verified 3 times, they were right.

	I guess I'll go back and substitute uuid labels one-by-one and see where it
fails. My luck, it will work this time. If I find a failure, then we will
have narrowed the error down.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC