[arch-general] hal has lost its mind again.

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon May 18 10:48:00 EDT 2009

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. wrote:
> On or about Sunday 17 May 2009 at approximately 03:51:10 David C. Rankin,
>> 	Another interesting note. When I inserted the card, there was no entry
>> created in /media. Now 10 minutes later after I have been copying the
>> photos, etc., the mount of /dev/mmcblk0p1 has *appeared* mounted on
>> /media/disk? Huh?
>>
>> 	I can't tell you when it appeared, but I can tell you that for at least
>> 4-5 minutes. So why the initial error and why the magical appearance after
>> the error telling me it wasn't going to be mounted? What to check for more
>> info?
>
> Here is the deal,
>
> 	When I stick the card in, as my normal user I can't access the device shown
> under "Services" "Storage Media" and there is no "disk" entry in /media.
>
> 	If I start konqueror running as root and then access "Services" "Storage
> Media" and the SD card (/dev/mmcblk0p1 in this case), Presto the device
> automatically appears as "disk" under /media and then I *can* access it (rw)
> as my normal user. What gives? What permissions are stuck?

Short answer:

Use this for your /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- XML -*- -->

<!DOCTYPE pkconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Configuration
1.0//EN"
"http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/PolicyKit/1.0/config.dtd">

<!-- See the manual page PolicyKit.conf(5) for file format -->

<config version="0.1">
<!--
         <define_admin_auth group="wheel"/>
-->
         <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable">
                 <return result="yes"/>
         </match>
<!--
         <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.eject-removable">
                 <return result="yes"/>
         </match>
-->
</config>

Long answer:

See:  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=542472

I have to say, I'm not very fond of this new console-kit/policy-kit
stuff being the default in hal now.  I far prefer the simplicity of
standard unix groups and permissions.

DR