[arch-general] error dumped to terminal: kdeinit4: ... /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4 on kdemod3?

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon May 18 11:26:52 EDT 2009

Listmates,

	Here is a curious one. I am getting KDE4 errors dumped back to the screen on
my KDE3 (kdemod3) screen hours after kdiff3 was run from the terminal? Here
is what is getting dumped back to my terminal through stderr on my x86_64
install:

kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4

kbuildsycoca4 running...

kbuildsycoca4(25149)/kdecore (KService) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop
entry file  "/usr/share/applications/kde4/koffice.desktop"  has
Type= "Application"  but no Exec line

kbuildsycoca4(25149)/kdecore (KService) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry:
Invalid Service :  "/usr/share/applications/kde4/koffice.desktop"
    kbuildsycoca4(25149) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry Categories
in "/usr/share/applications/opera.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard
(missing trailing semicolon).

kbuildsycoca4(25149)/kdecore (KService) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop
entry file  "/usr/share/applications/scribus.desktop"  has
Type= "Application"  but no Exec line

                                               kbuildsycoca4(25149)/kdecore
(KService) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry: Invalid
Service :  "/usr/share/applications/scribus.desktop"

	Anybody ever seen something like this before. It looks like it will be a
kdemod issue related to the fact that kdiff3 was built against the kde4
runtime, but I thought I would ask hear to see if anyone else has seen
something like this before? I have a bug open with kdemod:

http://www.chakra-project.org/bugs/showreport.php?bugid=271

where additional details can be found. The times associated with running
kdiff3 and then the above error messages have me confused. Specifically I ran
kdiff3 and got the following output on stdout at 2:12 am:

02:12 alchemy:~/tmp/cursor/xcursorgen-1.0.2/mycursors> kdiff3
QFSFileEngine::open: No file name specified
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/klauncher
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kded4
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kbuildsycoca4(16647) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry MimeType
in "/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/k3b.desktop" is not compliant with XDG
standard (missing trailing semicolon).
kbuildsycoca4(16647) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry MimeType
in "/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/filelight.desktop" is not compliant with
XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
<snip>

	Then hours later, I received the stderr messages:

[05:15 archangel:~/tmp] # kdeinit4: preparing to
launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kconf_update

kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4
                                      kbuildsycoca4 running...
                                                              kbuildsycoca4
(21983)/kdecore (KService) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry
file  "/usr/share/applications/kde4/koffice.desktop"  has Type= "Application"
but no Exec line
<snip>

[09:05 archangel:~/tmp] # kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4

kbuildsycoca4 running...

kbuildsycoca4(25149)/kdecore (KService) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop
entry file  "/usr/share/applications/kde4/koffice.desktop"  has
Type= "Application"  but no Exec line

	Now I'm not trying to run kdeinit4, that just what is coming back trough
stderr and my prompt just happens to have a timestamp in it to help gage
time.

	Is there anything I can do with kdiff3 to prevent the call to kdeinit4?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC