[arch-general] Building local repo - eliminating dups - why some new x86_64?

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed May 20 03:02:57 EDT 2009

On or about Tuesday 19 May 2009 at approximately 08:14:13 Andrei Thorp
composed:
> Hey,
>
> We see people trying to make an Arch repo mirror to save themselves
> bandwidth. I think that doesn't really make too much sense. Instead,
> it seems much better to implement a download proxy. The way this works
> is that all traffic is routed through a computer which backs up stuff
> that passes through it. When a computer on the network asks for a file
> that's been downloaded previously, there is no need to go into the
> Internet.
>
> That seems like a great thing to use for Arch packages, as well as a
> lot of stuff really. Think about how much faster some websites and
> stuff can load if you already have all the common images downloaded to
> your LAN.
>
> Here's a link.
>
> http://www.squid-cache.org/
>
> -AT
>
> (Man.. I really want to set up a Linux router box...)

Now that looks like a clever solution. Which is what I am essentially trying
to do, but without the "proxy mechanism" serving the files. I have several
servers, one is my 1st Arch box x86_64 and my laptop which is x86_64. The
present main server is an older openSuSE box. What I was wanting to do was to
update the Arch server, then move the cache to /home/backup/archlinux, share
that dir either by http, ftp, or both. Then it seemed like a simple thing
just to point my laptop to the /home/backup/archlinux dir on the server, edit
pacman.conf and put the update the server line at the top and then pull
updates to my laptop from the other archbox.

The only issue I encountered in the thought process was handling multiple
versions on the server which was solved with a bit of bash scripting. It
squid was involved, then wouldn't the "Which duplicate problem" still apply
from the proxy??

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC