[arch-general] Fix or not fix? install scriptlets with user handling.

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed May 27 15:58:24 EDT 2009

Hi,

Many package manage user/groups in many differents ways. (no much
problem here)

Many do things like:

@ when installed
1) check if not user foo exists then create it
2) check if not group foo exists then create it
@when removed
1) remove the user foo (without check)
2) remove the group foo (without check)

Because by default the option USERGROUPS_ENAB is set to yes, when user
"foo" is removed also the group "foo" is removed, so the groupdel
command will fail, then pacman show the message: "error: scriptlet
failed to execute correctly".

The solution is trivial, check with getent before remove, just like some
packages do it before create the user.

My question here, is there interest in resolving this? Currently I have
the choice of those who fail (both extra and comunity). Do you send a
report to everyone who fail to flyspray with the patch (low priority)?
Also I can unify the user creation step, some .install check with "grep"
and others with "getent". I prefer the proper getent method.

The only package in [core] that have this issue is dbus-core [#1] and is
actually reported.

[#1] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/14810

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi ( djgera )