[arch-general] Fix or not fix? install scriptlets with user handling.

Attila attila at invalid.invalid
Thu May 28 17:33:10 EDT 2009

On Donnerstag, 28. Mai 2009 18:53 Jan de Groot wrote:

> Packages shouldn't share user accounts usually, and in case they do,
> they should be in the filesystem package.

The most here speaks about the technical side but from my view there is a
humanly side too. If you put all static in the filesystem package than you
have to document it and you never have to forget it to keep it up to date
which is not realistic because we all be only humans.

The most other distributions creates user/groups during installing a package
and so i'm a little bit surprised that you don't want to do the same.

> As for (re)starting daemons: don't. It's up to the user to do that.
> Usually these things need configuration, it's a no-go to add them to
> rc.conf by default.

Definitely +1 for don't starting. But -1 for don't restarting because it is
the job of a package management to guarantee that an upgrade is safe and if a
daemon needs to restart than doing this is better as doing nothing.

See you, Attila