[arch-general] network stop (Was: /etc/rc.d/foo restart)

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Thu May 28 22:17:09 EDT 2009

Daenyth Blank wrote:
> I'm not really sure what the best behavior in this case is... If you
> look at the example of a multi-user system, killing all sshd processes
> has the potential to boot off quite a few users unexpectedly.. It
> seems to me that the only time you would want that behavior is when
> you're the only one using it. Either that or you'd want to «wall»
> first.

Yes, but is stop so is supose to stop! So if is a real multi-user as you
said, you need to take some preventions acording to the setup.

The real problem in doing a killall sshd, is for example if you run
multiple sshd on the same machine. (I do this for example for my build
chroots)
So the S1 of doing a killall is very anoying of course.

In any way, is interesting in considering that stop "network" should be
the last step just after killall5 in rc.{shutdown,single} of course if
this don't have any problems with the differents setups that the user
can configure ;)

PS: I am very happy with ssh escapes :P that Jared suggested.

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi ( djgera )
http://www.djgera.com.ar