[arch-general] Fix or not fix? install scriptlets with user handling.

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Sat May 30 09:37:41 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 6:54 AM, Daenyth Blank <daenyth+arch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 05:28, ludovic coues <couesl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe that a PKGBUILD runned solution, could allow to set some
>> pacman's config for this.
>> Like a field " auto-restart_daemon = 1", wich you can set to 0, if you
>> don't want. Same for adding user.
>>
>> If the field is to 1, pacman manage it by itself, if it's set to 0,
>> pacman just print warning informing the user that he need to apply
>> change to the daemon, i.e. restart it.
>>

> -1. Pacman is a package manager, not a system administration tool.

I think I can safely speak for most of the developers when I say Arch
will *never* get in the business of restarting daemons. Ever. If we do
it is a bug, because the implications of it are just too great. Think
about upgrading the httpd package on a relatively high-traffic site
(e.g. archlinux.org). Think we want the webserver to just restart
whenever it wants? Now do the same with xinetd, mysql, and you start
to see huge problems.

-Dan