[arch-general] Fix or not fix? install scriptlets with user handling.

Attila attila at invalid.invalid
Sat May 30 16:02:23 EDT 2009

On Samstag, 30. Mai 2009 15:37 Dan McGee wrote:

> I think I can safely speak for most of the developers when I say Arch
> will never get in the business of restarting daemons. Ever. If we do
> it is a bug, because the implications of it are just too great. Think
> about upgrading the httpd package on a relatively high-traffic site
> (e.g. archlinux.org). Think we want the webserver to just restart
> whenever it wants? Now do the same with xinetd, mysql, and you start
> to see huge problems.

I understand what you mean because i run a server at home and therefore i know
about such possible problems.

I'm only wondering that everybody think he is on the safe side that you don't
restart it as a rule in every case. At example if the package is a daemon
without any dependence to another one this is only defering a possible
problem in the future to the next reboot, not more and for me not better.

But i don't want to say that you have to change this because for a single
daemon i would say that this is possible but for a combination of them as you
said this is too much work for a problem who could (and should) be solved
from the user.

See you, Attila