[arch-general] Nouveau doesn't get loaded without config file?

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 11:59:43 EST 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Ray Kohler <ataraxia937 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>> I had some problems with my Xorg nv driver this morning, and people
>> suggested I switch to the nouveau driver instead.  When trying it X
>> didn't seem to notice that it's available.  Do I really need to have
>> an X configuration file in order to use it?
>
> I think it's not "official" enough yet for the server to know to look for it.

I am not sure how it works, but I believe it also looks for it.
But when you have nouveau/nv/nvidia installed, I am not sure how it
can choose between the three.
So I think the best is to just create a minimal xorg.conf , just
specifying the driver, as I suggested on the wiki :
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau#Configuration