[arch-general] Segmentation fault in X after last upgrade

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 3 13:00:53 EST 2009

Lars Tennstedt schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Xorg with nvidia-96xx for a GeForce 3 Ti 200 does not start anymore on
> my Arch Linux installation (i686). First I thought that it was a failure
> caused by SLiM because the error output on screen was "respawning too
> fast" and I switched from respawn to once but that did not help. Even
> standalone X does not start. I looked into the log file and there were
> messages about that freetype and kbd cannot be found. But both are
> installed. Are these problems connected to each other?

http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2009-October/014167.html

Or better:

I don't know what you think, but I don't get the part where the nvidia
dev says they plan to fix it, but he can't promise if and when. So they
plan to fix it, but don't really know if they plan to fix it.

So basically, you're screwed unless you plan on buying a GeForce 6 or newer.