[arch-general] preferred laptops.

Eric Jacobs eric at redechos.net
Wed Nov 4 03:22:07 EST 2009

Hello fello archers..

I've recently been going through a bit of a rough patch with my laptop
usage.. I had a 15" macbook pro (dual booted with arch linux), which I
recently sold because I thought it was ugly, the mouse didn't work very
well, and frankly I was trying to de-appletize myself :)..

I just received my refurbished dell studio 14z and got arch up and running
on it, but I can't decide if I like it or not.. I haven't gotten used to the
mouse yet. The resolution is less than desirable. (13 something x 7
something). And there isn't a latch on the lid.. but I do like the size,
aesthetics, weight, and the keyboard feels nice..

So I'm asking you, if you have a laptop, what kind is it? Does arch run
pretty well on it (synaptics, sleep/wake, etc.)? What window manager do you
think works best with the touchpad (I'm using gnome now)?

Any input would be appreciated.