[arch-general] preferred laptops.

Phillip Smith arch-general at fukawi2.nl
Wed Nov 4 06:08:27 EST 2009

2009/11/4 Eric Jacobs <eric at redechos.net>

> So I'm asking you, if you have a laptop, what kind is it? Does arch run
> pretty well on it (synaptics, sleep/wake, etc.)? What window manager do you
> think works best with the touchpad (I'm using gnome now)?

I've got an old Dell D610 and a new HP dv7. I think if I had to choose, I'd
prefer the Dell, but that might be because it's (significantly) smaller and
lighter, but I use the HP because of the 17" screen, 64-bit dual-core
processor, 4gb RAM and 640gb disk as compared to the 14" screen, 32-bit
single-core, 1gb RAM and 60gb disk in the Dell :P

Everything on the Dell works beautifully -- I've never had reason to use the
56k dialup modem but it's detected OK so I presume it works OK. The HP is
working almost completely apart from the "subwoofer" and fingerprint reader.
The audio, wireless, webcam, dvd-rw and bluetooth are all sweet :)

Oh, and I'm using Gnome on both. Never bothered even trying suspend or
anything, I always just shutdown, so can't comment on that.