[arch-general] Mayday - Installed Fresh Archlinux on Laptop - Resolution stuck 1152x864, need 1440x900??

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 08:17:38 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 5:04 AM, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 23:31:20 -0600
> "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Listmates,
>>
>> New drive for my laptop so I dedicated it to Arch. Net install with
>> 2009.08 went fine (although there really should be a warning when you
>> leave install WITHOUT configuring the bootloader). [the /arch/setup
>> menu autoadvances when you leave Configure System and if you click
>> Done and downarrow anticipating moving to the next item,  you can
>> easily miss configuring the bootloader (I did ;-)]
>
> arch is not, was not and will never be a hand-holding distro.
> if anyone doesn't pay attention and just skips steps it's that persons
> own problem imho. (in fact the interactive installer already
> does too much handholding)

So he maybe came up with an answer to the wrong problem. Problem as stated:
"there really should be a warning when you leave install WITHOUT
configuring the bootloader"
and problem as I read it from the context:
"the installer auto-advances so it is really easy to hit quit on
accident if you were expecting to have to hit down and enter"

You can't possibly justify the second stated problem as a hand-holding
mistake, unless you mean we shouldn't even auto-advance. A simple
confirm quit dialog would solve the issue here as people would quickly
realize they missed a step.

-Dan