[arch-general] file system capabilities

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 4 11:27:32 EST 2009

Jan de Groot schrieb:
> This can be done by default, but capabilities aren't preserved when
> making tarballs. Every capability has to be set from
> post_install/post_upgrade in such cases. Maybe this is something worth
> to implement though.

Actually, bsdtar preserves them when packing, but upon extracting they
are gone. I don't know if we can force pacman to make this work. Maybe,
maybe not.

On another note: This [1] is something about fs caps, but "part two"
didn't get finished, although it's November already. I have some code
written to work with capabilities more (capchroot, capsudo), you can
find the current status on http://projects.archlinux.org/. capchroot has
a crappy config parser, capsudo is better but suffers from some small
problems whose details I forgot. Both work though. I was going to
explain those tools on "part two", but as I said, I haven't written it yet.

[1]
http://archlinux.me/brain0/2009/07/28/using-posix-capabilities-in-linux-part-one/