[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Load_Cycle_Count and storage-fixup

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 04:09:10 EST 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 15:08, Michael Towers <larch42 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> When I got a new laptop I investigated this problem a little and found
> that with hdparm -B 254/255 the temperature went up quite
> significantly. This may be a freak and I would love to know whether
> there really is something behind it, but when I used -B 200 the
> temperature increase was clearly smaller, but the load cycle count did
> not increase!!! Is this actually at all possible? Does the -B option
> do something other than only affecting head loading? Does anybody
> know?
>
> In looking through the storage-fixup package data I see that always -B
> 254 or -B 255 is set, so obviously there is no sign of other, possibly
> more optimal values there.

Unfortunately there are not many ways to turn off head parking
while not turning off power management.

For WD drives there is a special DOS binary for that: wdidle3.exe
which is provided by the support, but not allowed to be redistributed.
You can easily find it on the internet though.

Also I have seen some people doing tricks with sdparm,
but I have not seen a reliable (non-specific to a particular HDD
model) solution yet.

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)