[arch-general] Segmentation fault in X after last upgrade

Lars Tennstedt oss at larstennstedt.de
Thu Nov 5 05:51:07 EST 2009

Lars Tennstedt wrote:

> Xavier wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Lars Tennstedt <oss at larstennstedt.de>
>> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> it seems that the NVIDIA developers will only fix it if they have
>>> time to do
>>> it. I guess that the legacy driver does not have a high priority.
>>>
>>> I tried the nouveau driver and it works on my old GeForce 3 even with
>>> compositing. It is a little bit slow but it does the job. Thanks for the
>>> hint.
>>> But on my other computer the nouveau driver does not work with a
>>> GeForce 7.
>>> It is weird. Two NVIDIA graphic cards and one needs the closed source
>>> driver
>>> and the another one the open source one.
>>>

>> Geforce 7 should work, see the links in
>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau#Installation
>>
>> If it does not work at all, you should report that to upstream
>> developers.
>> Maybe try first the latest packages which have just been moved to
>> extra today.
>

> I use a mirror that contains the version git20091013. It is behind the
> original Arch Linux mirror. It syncs daily so I guess that I will get
> the new version tomorrow. Then I will try again.
>

> By
> Lars

Hello again,

with the new version of nouveau Xorg works well with my GeForce 7 card.
Compositing is still very buggy under KDE 4.3.3 in this case. There are
no problems with compositing using Xfwm 4 or Xfce 4.6.1 on my other
computer with a GeForce 3. I decide to use nouveau without compositing
on my newer computer and will try desktop effects again if a new version
of nouveau is released to give feedback to the developers.

Have a nice day.

Bye
Lars