[arch-general] gcc -m64

Ciprian Dorin, Craciun ciprian.craciun at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 02:14:15 EST 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 3:13 AM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com> wrote:
> Ciprian Dorin, Craciun wrote:
>>
>>    Hello all!
>>
>>    I have ArchLinux i686 version, but I'm trying to compile an x86_64
>> kernel... And you've guessed... Not supported by the ArchLinux stock
>> gcc / binutils...
>>
>>    I've done the "raining" dance, by trying to compile my own gcc /
>> binutils, but it didn't "rain" (I mean it didn't work)... Any
>> pointers?
>>
>>    Thanks,
>>    Ciprian.
>>
>>    P.S.: Is there any good reason for which there isn't even a
>> separate package of gcc that is able to do this? (I've read the bug
>> from one year ago, but no good reason was specified...)
>>    P.P.S.: I'm missing Debian...
>>

> Arch users generally prefer a clean 32bit/64bit chroot to a "dirty" system
> and have therefore developed tools to make chroot creation really
> convenient. You should try it too - get the devtools and try "mkarchroot".
>
> -- Sven-Hendrik

    About the reason I've read it and somehow understood it. Also
mkarchroot is quite nice (in fact the reason I'm struggling with
kernel compilation is for a Vserver deployment)...

    But back to the problem at hand: I cannot use a chrooted Linux,
because in order to use x86_64 packages I need a x86_64 enabled kernel
on my laptop (which I don't). So actually I need to cross-compile the
kernel.

    Now I've seen that in the default repository we have gcc for
crosscompiling for arm. Why not one for x86_64?

    Anyway thanks for the pointer of mkarchroot! (It would help me in
deployment of virtual servers.)

    Ciprian.