[arch-general] kde3 sources available anymore & missing garbage collector

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Sun Nov 8 11:20:02 EST 2009

On 11/08/2009 12:42 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I don't know if the kde3 sources still live on a server some where, but I
> would be interested in finding them. I still have all the PKGBUILD files for
> the kde3 install, but I need a few sources. kpdf for starters, and there are a
> couple more.

Not really.  Because I'm not sure that KDE3 can even build any more on
the current state/version of Arch's tools.  I know the Kdemod3
maintainer no longer can, and he was the last Arch guy who could AFAIK.
  (See:  http://chakra-project.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?pid=8271#p8271)

I also tried an experiment of grabbing the old Arch KDE3
sources/PKGBUILDs from out of our version control system and tried to
build them, but that failed too.  (Probably for the same reason as
kdemod3 did.)

That said, I may actually have the kde3 kpdf source somewhere, if you
really need it.  But I'm not sure why you would.  KDE3 is really pretty
much dead at this point, I'd say, and you're only going to cause
yourself lots of grief in the form of unsolvable problems, and zero
support available if you try.  I think you can still install and run the
kdemod3 binaries, but I think that's the best you're going to get out of
it these days.

> I -- can tell you why. Arch nailed it with the rolling release approach. That
> is the right way to do a distro.

A big +1 on that!

DR