[arch-general] new xorg & go-openoffice are fighting -> fatal user interface language cannot be determined

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Nov 9 16:43:16 EST 2009

Guys,

I thought I would try go-openoffice to see if there was a difference that I
could tell from the way I use it. In short, installed go-oo and the
dependencies. go-oo WILL start for root, but WILL NOT start for normal users.
The error dialog received at the same time the splash appears says

Fatal Error:

"The application cannot be started.
The user interface language cannot be determined."

Launching it from the command line results in the following error:

15:26 alchemy:~> soffice
[Java framework] Error in function createSettingsDocument (elements.cxx).
javaldx failed!

OK, that doesn't jive with the dialog reported error, but I'm sure they are
related. I have googled it and the only thing I ran across was the suggestion
to check /etc/locale.gen to determine if the correct language was uncommented.
I believe it is:

15:32 alchemy:~> noc /etc/locale.gen
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
en_US ISO-8859-1

The strange part is the fact it starts for root, but not a regular user (that
normally sounds like a permissions problem). Java runtime permissions?? Where?

Let me know what to check and whether you want me to file it as a bug and I'll
be happy to.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC