[arch-general] No sound after hal update

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Tue Nov 10 06:06:30 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 11:36 +0100, A Rojas wrote:
> I just updated to hal 0.5.13-3 and after rebooting the soundcard is not
> accessible to non-root users anymore, so there is no sound. Any idea how to
> solve this?
>  Thanks

Hal used to do ACL management, just like udev does. The new release of
hal has ACL management disabled, as it conflicts with udev. However,
udev seems to be incompatible with ConsoleKit 0.4.1 and needs a patch to
integrate correctly.
There's a patch for udev to fix this:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=commit;h=bded570432d7017c47882758b037e77f1ec8e79e

In the meanwhile, you could gain access to the audio devices by adding
yourself to the audio group. This is the old method used in Archlinux
before ACL management was integrated into udev and/or hal.