[arch-general] Segmentation fault in X after last upgrade

Nezmer at allurelinux.org Nezmer at allurelinux.org
Wed Nov 11 10:24:04 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 03:45:13PM +0100, Xavier wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM, David C. Rankin
> <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Just be thankful you are not using ATI hardware where everything prior to the
> > 2400 Series cards were deprecated to "Legacy" cards and all Linux support
> > dropped in March ;-)
> >
> > (performance difference between fglrx and ati 1066 FPS version 160 FPS, and
> > the downclocking isn't present in the opensource driver (not the gpu
> > powerdown) and temps are up 25 degrees (you feel it in the laptop palm rest).
> >

> Heh.
>
> ati 3d support is much more advanced and mature than nouveau one.
>
> And I thought ati had some sort of downclocking support. But I am not
> 100% sure. From your comment, maybe it can just downclock the mem
> speed and not the gpu speed ?
> In any cases, for nouveau it is inexistent.
The opensource ATI drivers are definitely in a very good shape
especially at this stage of development.

I decided to ditch catalyst* completely the other day until I had
to get out and actually use the battery. The battery life dropped
40-50%. I wasn't even aware GPU consumes that much power .

So, yes the opensource ATI drivers are great but not for laptop usage.

*my card (Mobility Radeon HD 4570 is M92 based which is still supported).