[arch-general] аrch x86_64 and i686 performance comparison

Sergey Manucharian sergeym at rmico.com
Wed Nov 11 23:16:58 EST 2009

Excerpts from Smith Dhumbumroong's message of Thursday 12-Nov-09
10:49am:

> Better to install both Arch 32-bit and 64-bit on the same machine
> (dual boot) and run the tests.
I've already did it.

> from my personal experience certain operations, such as video/music
> encoding, is a _lot_ faster on 64-bit. I didn't timed it back then,
> but it was almost twice faster than on 32-bit.
Well, in my ThinkPad R61 (Core2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz) I got 1.1
times difference (in favour of 64-bit) with couple of videofiles
encoded. (By the way, it means that VM performs almost 1.5 worse then
the real HW).

Thanks,
Sergey