[arch-general] аrch x86_64 and i686 performance comparison

Robert Howard rjh0507 at ecu.edu
Thu Nov 12 13:34:41 EST 2009

I find the 64 bit version to be on par with the 32 bit version. I do think
64 bit is faster when using it for GIS with large datasets. I have been
using 64 bit for years without remorse.  Now, no 64 bit Windows OS has ever
been worth using.

On Nov 11, 2009 11:19 PM, "Sergey Manucharian" <sergeym at rmico.com> wrote:

Excerpts from Smith Dhumbumroong's message of Thursday 12-Nov-09
10:49am:

> Better to install both Arch 32-bit and 64-bit on the same machine > (dual
boot) and run the tests...
I've already did it.

> from my personal experience certain operations, such as video/music >
encoding, is a _lot_ faster...
Well, in my ThinkPad R61 (Core2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz) I got 1.1
times difference (in favour of 64-bit) with couple of videofiles
encoded. (By the way, it means that VM performs almost 1.5 worse then
the real HW).

Thanks,
Sergey