[arch-general] MUA

Patrick Brisbin pbrisbin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 14:19:40 EST 2009

On 11/17/09 at 01:13pm, Aaron Griffin wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Marc Deop i Argemí
> <damnshock at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 17 November 2009 19:06:18 Xavier wrote:
> >> Lately I realized I have become way too addicted of the gmail
> >> interface, and in particular the way it handles threads
> >>

> > Would you mind to explain what is addicting you?
> >
> > I specially *dislike* the way gmail puts all the replies at the same level,
> > just to take one example out of my head.
>
> My girlfriend hates the exact same thing. That's one of the things I
> love about it.
>
> Think about it this way: blog comments, forum posts, instant messages,
> and (some) phone text messages work this way - your messages and other
> people's messages are all displayed together, because it's a
> "conversation". I've never seen an IM client that doesn't display what
> I write. Why should email be different?

I understand seeing your own replies as a benefit (could be solved with
set record = [Gmail]/INBOX in muttrc). But I believe he meant the
branching.

In gmail's web interface a thread is vertical, sorted by time. However
here in mutt, I can see that I've replied to you in our own little
thread branch.

I like this better. Personally, with the proper sort, sort_aux, and
record settings in muttrc, I don't see how gmail's got anything on mutt
in the realm of threading.

That's just me though :) to each their own.

Pat

--
patrick brisbin