[arch-general] First install of gnome on Arch, pretty cool... (new artwork this time :-)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Nov 18 01:46:59 EST 2009

On Tuesday 17 November 2009 08:26:22 and regarding:
> cool stuff, bro
>
> We hope you enjoy using arch as much as we do.

Amen,

	When I thought about trying Arch, I never envisioned replacing SuSE with
Arch, but "never-say-never." Arch is just so much better thought out from the
technical aspect of "how do you create and maintain an efficient and clean
distro?" that I was hooked as soon as I figured out what pacman was and what
ABS was all about. The rolling release, the proactive (as opposed to reactive)
development, the near unanimous use of unaltered sources, and the focus on
documentation for the user (the really good wiki) really shows you what a
Linux distro can and should be. (of course it takes some brilliant and
dedicated developers as well)

	January will mark a decade for me with Linux (Mandrake 7.0 "air" was my first
install, then mandy imploded after going public and I went to SuSE 8.0 pro
[comment omitted concerning the result of failing to learn from history...],
and then I wound up here. (just don't go public or get bought for a little
while ;-)

	Arch is a keeper.... I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Arch
developers have created something they should really be proud of. There are
quite a few distros that try to do Linux, very few get it right, and even
fewer do it so well they get to watch what they have created start to grow.
Great job and thanks!

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC