[arch-general] pam settings INSECURE

bender02 bender02 at archlinux.us
Wed Nov 18 08:17:24 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Xavier <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> And I am curious to know what the pam settings of other distro are
> (debian,fedora,gentoo,..).
>
> Finally, maybe it makes sense to try keeping all the different pam
> login files as consistent as possible. But I don't know enough about
> pam to tell.

Some other distros (opensuse, ubuntu, fedora at least) use
'common-auth' (and probably some other 'common-*' files) in
/etc/pam.d/, which are then included in the particular pam files.
Hence all pam files are consistent. On the other hand, if you need
more fine-grained control, you need to edit and consolidate more files
than with the current arch setup. [I like arch's system better, but
who cares about that :)]