[arch-general] Frustrating Dependencies

Gergely Imreh imrehg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 22:10:33 EST 2009

2009/11/23 Andrea Scarpino <andrea at archlinux.org>:
> On 23/11/2009, Phillip Smith <arch-general at fukawi2.nl> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> So, there's currently a frustrating chain of dependencies:
>>
>> digikam -> kdepimlibs -> akonadi -> mysql
>>
>> So to manage my digital photos, I need a relational database
>> system...! On a desktop system that I don't use for development, it's
>> a bit annoying to have to have mysql taking up space, downloads during
>> updates etc.
>>
>> Is there anyway we can get around this particular chain of deps? It's
>> not a major issue, but just "one of those things" ;)
>>
> from digiKam's description:
> "Digital photo management application for KDE"
> If you don't use KDE, why do you want to use a kde-based application
> without KDE dependencies?

Maybe because people have personal preferences, since all these
applications are different from each other?

Anyway, I used to use digikam (on XFCE), for similar heavy dependency
reasons switched to gthumb. It still has quite a few dependencies, but
they are generally much smaller.

More on topic:
As a comparison, looking at the Ubuntu packaging of digikam:
digikam -> kdepimlibs5 -> libakonadiprivate1 (and no mysql only if one
installs the whole akonadi-server)
Might worth checking out... (libaconadiprivate1: This package contains
private libraries used by the Akonadi PIM storage service.)

On Gentoo one can choose features: if "addressbook" is disabpled, the
whole kdepimlibs is not included. If addressbook enabled, then
kdepimlibs -> akonadi-server, but akonadi-server can have mysql and/or
sqlite enabled, thus one can choose again....

Just some notes....
  Greg