[arch-general] New install configuring php - only get text - feeling stupid -- help!

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Nov 23 16:59:22 EST 2009

Guys,

I can't believe this. On my new arch install on my laptop, I'm finally getting
around to configuring the web server and I am having trouble with php. When I
try and access a php page, all I get is the text of the script echoed to the
browser. I have heard about this happening before and I think I have even
fixed it before, but I can't for the life of me remember how? I've been
through the wiki at:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LAMP

I have the following loaded:

php 5.3.1-2
php-apache 5.3.1-2
php-curl 5.3.1-2
php-docs 5.3.0-1
php-enchant 5.3.1-2
php-gd 5.3.1-2
php-gmp 5.3.1-2
php-intl 5.3.1-2
php-ldap 5.3.1-2
php-mcrypt 5.3.1-2
php-odbc 5.3.1-2
php-pear 5.3.1-2
php-pgsql 5.3.1-2
php-pspell 5.3.1-2
php-snmp 5.3.1-2
php-sqlite 5.3.1-2
php-tidy 5.3.1-2
php-xsl 5.3.1-2

My php config in httpd.conf is:

LoadModule php5_module modules/libphp5.so
    DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm
Include conf/extra/php5_module.conf

I've configured php and php works from the command line just fine and will
dump phpinfo() to a terminal, but from my browser pointed at:

http://localhost/dcr/phpinfo.php

all I get is: "<?php phpinfo(); ?>"  (no quotes) which is nothing more than
the content of my test script. I have also configured php.ini with the proper:

open_basedir =.:/srv/http:/usr/share/pear:/home:/tmp:/var/lib/egroupware
<snip>

include_path =
".:/srv/http/secure:/srv/http/htdocs:/srv/http/dl:/usr/share/pear:/srv/http"

to accomadate the php include and defined the directory to /dcr. In fact I can
browse /dcr just fine, but clicking on the phpinfo() script just returns the
text of the script like all my other pages.

What's the trick?

(yes, I've stopped and restarted httpd...)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC