[arch-general] Frustrating Dependencies

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 23:59:46 EST 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 16:19 -0700, Brendan Long wrote:
<big snip>

> I'm actually using Arch primarily because it's so little work to make
> your own packages (I realized that no distro is going to have every
> package I want, although Arch has most of them). In most cases building
> the next version of a package consists of changing the package number
> and then running makepkg. It would be nice if there was a script that
> attempted to do this on updates and then informed you if it didn't work.
> -Brendan

While a nice idea (perhaps suggest it as a feature to pakthan or
yaourt?), I don't see how such a script would know that there IS a new
version of a package if the repos aren't updated. Unless you're actually
referring to marking some packages as 'I compiled this myself, please do
that again for me when the repo updates'?

In the latter case, you could probably just write a simple bash script
to grep/sed the relevant numbers and --configure options, I do that to
mirror kernel26-ice to kernel26-rt-ice.