[arch-general] Gnome - howto configure sound? Sound is silent, beep is loud (as heck)?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Nov 24 11:23:06 EST 2009

On 11/24/2009 04:00 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> the system beep is so loud it will scare the heck
> out of you when you backspace too far, etc... I need to reverse both.

Solution for this is to either 1) lower the volume, by lowering the
slider on the "PC Beep" channel in your mixer (e.g., kmix, alsamixer,
etc.), or 2) complete turn off the volume by either a) muting that
channel in your mixer, or b) not loading the kernel "pcspkr" module
(e.g., by setting "MODULES=(... !pcspkr ...)" in your /etc/rc.conf.

HTH,

DR