[arch-general] Upgrading libwebkit finds conflict between udev and initscripts

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 18:15:46 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 17:51 -0500, Samuel Baldwin wrote:
> 2009/11/26 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com>:
> > Arch is a rolling release. If you don't want to regularly update your
> > packages, things will break eventually.
>
> Rather, things tend to break when upgrading; I can't imagine wanting
> the latest version of all the software I'm running. I don't really
> have any other options, though.

I'm not trying to be snarky, though it'll come across as that a bit. If
you're not keeping the system reasonably up to date (without 410
packages waiting in the background), you should really look for another
distro.

The inter-dependence can be quite strong, here. Small (relatively)
changes in the APIs of certain libraries can break older versions of
user-interaction programs. Say the packages A and B depend on library M,
but you only upgrade A. If A needs a newer version of library M, that
will be pulled in too. On an API update (even worse, ABI update), this
would break B.

In short, keep updated. Doesn't need to be daily, but at the very very
least 1-2 times a month.

On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 00:00 +0100, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 06:48:37AM +0800, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
>
> > Arch is a rolling release. If you don't want to regularly update your
> > packages, things will break eventually.
>
> You must be the Ng Oon-Ee I bumped into today on
> Linux Audio User ? :-) :-)
>
> Ciao,

The very same =)