[arch-general] usable browser?

Thomas Bewick tombewick at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 21:51:52 EST 2009

Tobias Kieslich wrote:
> dillo, simplistic, bone simple, limitations on the functionality
> Bottomline, if you need the features live with the overload. In Linux
> there are three full featured rendering engines:
> - gecko
> - webkit
> - opera
> you ruled out all of them, so what's left has serious short comings.
>
> 	-T
> On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Arvid Picciani wrote:
>
>> for those who don't want to read my long text completely here a
>> short version:
>>
>> - no webkit ( i need to visit non w3c compliant sites )
>> - no gecko  ( i don't have a raid11 in my laptop )
>> - no opera  ( i hate popups )
>> - no chrome ( unusable buggy )
>>
>> what is left?
>> thanks

Seamonkey is quite fast. Although I am not using it now I have in the
past and I know it is used extensively in Puppylinux because it is full
featured and light weight, even including a mail client.

Since it is developed by Mozilla it is very similar to FF in
functionality but does not have all the extras that slow FF down.
I agree that FF has gotten very bloated in the last few years, I think
to compete with and explorer and make windows users happy. But as a
result the browser is not what it used to be.

I currently use chrome both on windows and in Arch and it runs the
fastest of any others for me.