[arch-general] usable browser?

Thomas Bewick tombewick at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 23:28:16 EST 2009

Robert Howard wrote:
> I don't understand why people want to use software that has no features. If
> something has more than one feature, people bitch about bloat. FF is not
> that bad nor is Seamonkey or any of the webkit stuff.
>
> On Nov 26, 2009 9:52 PM, "Thomas Bewick" <tombewick at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Tobias Kieslich wrote: > > dillo, simplistic, bone simple, limitations on
> the functionality > Bottom...
> Seamonkey is quite fast. Although I am not using it now I have in the past
> and I know it is used extensively in Puppylinux because it is full featured
> and light weight, even including a mail client.
>
> Since it is developed by Mozilla it is very similar to FF in functionality
> but does not have all the extras that slow FF down.
> I agree that FF has gotten very bloated in the last few years, I think to
> compete with and explorer and make windows users happy. But as a result the
> browser is not what it used to be.
>
> I currently use chrome both on windows and in Arch and it runs the fastest
> of any others for me.

Ouch!, But seriously. it is not the extra features that is a problem I
have run it without any plug-ins, and chrome has lots of features.
But honestly when I have run FF on my old pentium 3 it is very
noticeably slower then other browsers.
It runs my cpu out a lot higher than chrome. As computers have gotten
faster if you upgraded you won't notice much difference in speed on
anything because you have a enough resources to absorb it. But run those
same things side by side on an old pc and it is very noticeable. I know
that does not effect a lot of people, but it does some.
I pointed out the same thing to reviewer of Ubuntu. They compared Ubuntu
to Archlinux and said Ubuntu was not noticeably any slower, but they
reviewed it on a new box.
Arch is light-speeds faster then Ubuntu on this old thing, (I have used
both) and why I use Arch. Ubuntu has serious "bloat" But Arch is built
with only what I want in it, and as such is very fast.