[arch-general] usable browser?

Raghavendra Prabhu raghu.prabhu13 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 13:59:35 EST 2009

I use Opera-10 and it works fine. I don't get any updates stuff(unless I
manually update) and I don't know what popups you are talking about(even
after you can block them for sites).Regarding compatibility, Opera now works
with 99% of the sites. Yes, with some sites it breaks then you can use
chrome for example for those sites.
What I liked most about opera is per site configuration flexibility.(I block
flash on all sites except sites like youtube).     Regarding firefox - clear
your cache,history -- any browser with deep history(even chrome - check
their bugs) will come to a crawl.

And regarding dbus and all - they don't slow your system.  And when you are
on battery on mobile/laptop stop the dbus daemon :) , nothing
breaks(assuming you are not running compiz, fancy gui stuff et.al. which you
shouldnt when on battery)

One more thing - regarding chrome - dont store any serious passwords on it
yet...  this is because passwords are stored in PLAIN TEXT(unlike
firefox/opera) in the SQLite database(under ~/.config/google-chrome/Web\
Data) . I asked the chromium devs - they said it will be fixed in next
milestone.

Chrome, I think, with same webkit rendering will overshadow following two
browsers,
Midori .
Arora

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Arvid Picciani <aep at exys.org> wrote:

> thank's for the first serious response...
>

> Rogutės Sparnuotos wrote:
>
>  With what you wrote above - no, no options.
>>
>> It sounds like you dump software as soon as you encounter any annoyance.
>>

> point, sadly the annoyances usually come in large bulk as feature
> "improvements" together with crucial updates, i actually want. Hence i
> figured i want a browsers that is NOT based on the idea to make everything
> WORSE.
>

>  Wouldn't it be wiser to workaround them, since annoyances (or small bugs)
>> are always part of everything?
>>

> i do that up so some degree where the workaround consumes more time then
> stealing my girlfriends mac. Ie the ff workaround was avarage 1 day fixing
> time each update since they managed to introduce workarounds for my
> workarounds.
>

>  I guess writing a browser could teach one
>> to live with bugs...
>>

> yeah..
>

>  I am sure you can disable those popups in opera (or stay with 9.64 for the
>> time being, if you like opera).
>>

> yeah thats unfortunately just one minor nuisance out of so many "features"
> they add. and the older versions cant render web 2.0 crap. same lemma.

Again what popups?