[arch-general] let's discuss /srv again

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 03:47:24 EDT 2009

2009/10/2 Sergej Pupykin <pupykin.s at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I want to discuss using /srv directory in packages
>
> (For reference: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16410)
>
> Of course I can easy sed and rebuild all my web packages, but I want to know
> reason why we disable /srv in packages?

IMO web apps should not even be packed as packages.
It's easy to download sources from an official site and install
in whatever user's webserver directory is.
Yes, packaging a webapp is nice for automatic upgrading with pacman,
but users can have multiple web servers with multiple vhosts in /srv,
so often installing something there won't make it working anyway,
and user will copy/move/symlink the app to whatever directory is right for
user's webserver config scheme, which is against the idea
that package files (except configs) should not be touched by user,
but only by package manager.

> Would it be good if I replace /srv/http with /var/www/<package> or something
> like this?

No, /var is not good either.
I can think about something like /usr/share/src/<webapp>,
but anyway that does not make much sense,
comparing to just installing the sources manually. :-/

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)