[arch-general] let's discuss /srv again

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Oct 2 05:46:04 EDT 2009

Sergej Pupykin schrieb:
>  >> I would say, use /usr/share/www/ (or similar) for static/php files,
> and provide proper configuration
>  >>  files that set the correct Alias and Directory directives for
> popular servers like apache and
>  >>  lighttpd. Users can then use Include directives (in case of apache)
> to load those confighuration
>  >>  files and enable the web app.
>
> It is good idea, but it needs patching for most of webapps because of
> webapps configs should be in /etc and user data - in /var by default.

Patching them is overkill, it would be an example of the unnecessary
patching we do not want in Arch. I would keep them self-contained, no
matter which solution will be used in the end. I wouldn't even have such
a big problem with having configuration in
/usr/share/www/phpmyadmin/config.inc.php or so.

In any way, filling /srv with data from pacman is a bad idea, /home and
/srv should be user territory only.