[arch-general] let's discuss /srv again

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Oct 2 06:23:08 EDT 2009

Sergej Pupykin schrieb:
>  >> Patching them is overkill, it would be an example of the unnecessary
> patching we do not want in
>  >> Arch. I would keep them self-contained, no matter which solution
> will be used in the end. I
>  >> wouldn't even have such a big problem with having configuration in
>  >> /usr/share/www/phpmyadmin/config.inc.php or so.
>> and /srv should be user territory only.
> It is not problem for user, but as I understand it should not be
> modificable files in /usr/share/

There are many "should"s here:

- You should not unnecessarily patch applications.
- You should not fill /srv or /home with pacman data
- You should not put user-modifiable files in /usr/share

The last "should" is IMO the weakest of all. You can easily avoid
violating the first two though. I would say this is the best solution,
but it would be great to have some more opinions from other devs and TUs
here, maybe even some from our overlord.

As for not packaging phpmyadmin and similar: I am with Dieter here, a
webapp shouldn't include a package manager, we should rather use the
existing package manager to track the webapp if we want to - so IMO it
is legitimate to have these things in pacman.

I'll also provide a short example of a
/etc/httpd/conf/extra/httpd-phpmyadmin.conf file:

# phpMyAdmin
Alias /phpMyAdmin /usr/share/www/phpmyadmin
<Directory "/usr/share/www/phpmyadmin">
     AllowOverride None
     Options None
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from 127.0.0.1
</Directory>

If you also include a similar file for lighttpd, it should be fine.