[arch-general] let's discuss /srv again

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Oct 4 04:36:28 EDT 2009

On Friday 02 October 2009 04:13:13 am Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> > Also, major php applications usually automatically notify the admin
> > when there is an update. Drupal does it, and phpmyadmin probably too.
> > So there is really *no need* to package them. Whatever I put under
> > /srv/http comes from an upstream download.
>
> this is one of the reasons why many webapps suck.  they add bloat such
> as package/software management features.  imho it's not the task of the
> webapp to do this. and i hate configuring every webapp to do it.
>
> Dieter

+1

Even larger web apps with tight mysql dependencies, etc. are simple enough to
install and usually come with good config scripts (Gallery2, eGroupWare,
etc.). With web servers in many different locations for people that move to
Arch, I think packaged web apps that try for a default "Arch" config could
potentially cause more user headaches than they cure. SuSE and others have
tried packaging web apps with limited success. The two exceptions to that are
generally phpadministrator and phpmyadmin which I have seen successfully
packaged by several distros.

Just food for thought.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.