[arch-general] php not working - Was: Web_application_package_guidelines wiki page

jozefk at gmx.com jozefk at gmx.com
Mon Oct 5 14:53:32 EDT 2009

On 5 Oct 2009 at 10:32, Crouse wrote:

> When using Arch as a server distro, you HAVE to be prepared to
> revert
> packages back that bork things, php/apache/mysq/ etc..... this
> isn't
> hard at all.
>
> I ran into the same php issues, and have yet to complete the
> upgrade,
> I simply reverted the package back, and set it to ignore in the
> upgrade list. I LOVE arch for servers, you just have to use a bit
> of
> common sense when doing upgrades. Especially if the servers are
> like
> mine, remote servers.
>
> However, I have run into much tougher issues when using other
> versions
> of Linux to do the same thing. In the end, the trade off of
> stability
> vs. bleeding edge, I much prefer the bleeding edge stuff. The most
> current patches for security are usually implemented, and while at
> times it breaks a few things you have to fix, many times your going
> run into the same issue down the road with a stable system too,
> patches that break things, at least with the bleeding edge stuff,
> have the newest security fixes in place..... so, I prefer to deal
> with
> one or two issues per year myself, and have the latest releases of
> the
> applications.
>
> Just my opinion, ymmv.
>
> Crouse

Yes that's true. With any other distro you will have some issues,
sooner or later. I know that very well. But, from the other side,
let's say if I have an issue with Arch I can't fix at all, what's the
function using it at all? Just like for example, right now my PHP
isn't working. And if I will not be able to fix it at all, shall I
wait for next Syu to get it working or I'll spend all the time, in
the meantime, until next Syu fixing this PHP to work again? :)
I have some other things to do in my life than only reading, learning
and fixing things with OS.
Maybe David is right. Use Ubuntu :) I just don't like it. Maybe
KUbuntu :P

Jozsef Kurucity  |  Web & Graphic Designer
http://linux.sgms-centre.com/advocacy/no-ms-office.php