[arch-general] VPS hosting with Arch

Roman Kyrylych roman.kyrylych at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 07:13:34 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 13:29, Roman Kyrylych <roman.kyrylych at gmail.com> wrote:
> Turned out that this was not the case.
> The problem was caused by installing /sbin/udevadm when udev was updated
> (as I see the admin have renamed udevadm to _udevadm).
> Initscripts check for /sbin/udevadm to see if udev should be used or
> static /dev is in place.
> And because after update /sbin/udevadm was created - the /dev was
> broken by udev after reboot.
>
> So the solution is to remove the udev package (it's not needed anyway)
> and put it into IgnorePkg so it's not installed on system update.

Oops, that was wrong because of the way our initscripts handle /dev.

Anyway, I think I know all pitfalls of VPSVille-based VPS,
so I can use it as a playground.
Will definitely use some more advanced (and less cheap)
hosting in the future.
Linode, SliceHost and VPS.net both look as good candidates.
(VPS.net does not have Arch template,
but is possible to create custom template once installed).

--
Roman Kyrylych (Роман Кирилич)