[arch-general] let's discuss /srv again

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Oct 7 03:21:49 EDT 2009

On Sunday 04 October 2009 04:42:19 am Xavier wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 10:36 AM, David C. Rankin
>
> <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> this is one of the reasons why many webapps suck.  they add bloat such
> >> as package/software management features.  imho it's not the task of the
> >> webapp to do this. and i hate configuring every webapp to do it.
> >>
> >> Dieter
> >
> > +1
> >
> > Even larger web apps with tight mysql dependencies, etc. are simple
> > enough to install and usually come with good config scripts (Gallery2,
> > eGroupWare, etc.). With web servers in many different locations for
> > people that move to Arch, I think packaged web apps that try for a
> > default "Arch" config could potentially cause more user headaches than
> > they cure. SuSE and others have tried packaging web apps with limited
> > success. The two exceptions to that are generally phpadministrator and
> > phpmyadmin which I have seen successfully packaged by several distros.
>
> Dieter was saying it would be better to manage webapps with the package
>  manager. You are apparently saying the opposite. So why +1 ?

Blame it on the flu, I was saying there is no need to package web apps as the
only install configuration needed is to untar and uncompress them to your
chosen directory and then run their configure script to setup and/or configure
the database backend and then to configure the webserver if you installed
outside of the document root. I think it would require way more code than
necessary if the packager was also going to try and manage all of that to
accommodate installs in standard and non standard locations.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for automated install scripts as long as the
installer doesn't introduce more bugs along the way.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC